Rock and Roll - Street Food Maniac's Log

YES! I am a big fan of all types of street food. Me thinks, Indian street food has to be the best as it caters to the poorest, ever-growing middle class, college bums who are always on a budget, the well heeled crowd who have a spirit of adventure and treats them all alike, Very egalitarian, high on variety, fits all pockets and tantalizes all taste buds. That's what I call good food.


Given the chance I wouldn't think twice before gobbling down all the Bhelpuri, Jhalmuri, Fuchka and Chaat available on the fascinating Indian streets. But then I'm suddenly reminded by a well meaning friend or companion how it might lead to acute food poisoning and other such belly related calamities. Now, calamities of this nature immediately conjures up images of very unloving situations and I refrain from my constant craving of street food gratification by good measure. But when opportunity comes knocking I am very smart and don't let it pass at all. :)


This Saturday, a very audacious and expensive eatery in the heart of Delhi, Connaught Place, mismanaged our table I was way too hungry to wait. In my "HANGRY" state I stomped out to find interesting food which my friend would also appreciate and will not go "Hangrier"! As we went towards Odeon Cinemas, through the middle lane my hunger pangs were shooting up pretty quickly. I could spot a Japanese Bar and Restaurant on my right, which looked quite seedy and dilapidated and it did not do anything to improve my HANGRY status. Grrrr!

My dear friend was trying to console me with promise of glorious food at the end of the long walk, culminating on an open terrace beauty, but it just looked too uncharted and miles away to me. Suddenly in the distance I could see three interesting dots in red, yellow, green. I squinted to see through my bad eyes for Frankincense, Gold and Myrrh, loosely translated food, food, food!


I knew I had found my destination. How could I resist the promise of good times from the Rolling Joint? With a name and decor like that for a street food place it could not be bad, it communicated so loudly to me. Look no further, I told my friend and convinced her the place was smart enough and I am sure the chances of any bacterial attack was not to happen when they had such interesting signages and decor. See the logic being, good advertising cannot sell a bad product. My advertising mind was totally sold.

Hmmp! some of you might say, but then people I was trying to respond to the signals of my empty stomach and nobody can fault me for that! So, what if they were located in the M block alleyway I told her? She being a doll could not refuse the crazy, hangry me and consented to the perils of street food for that afternoon.

We immediately liked what we saw and we saw plenty:


Absolute must is to try the Pita pockets and 3 C rolls. The wrap was good too, Although I wanted to tuck in a cigarello roll as well but just was way too satiated by the other goodies already.



The 3 C roll is a heady mixture of lamb, chicken, spinach with a cheesy center. Don't worry everything has a vegetarian option as well. Me being a hardcore non-vegetarian however, tried all the non-vegetarian options in my extreme hunger. The small yet very nice frontage of the desk is a delightful thing too for placing order. It also has a nifty logo!


The staff is young and friendly and they were very happy to bear with my stupid posh non-sense, with a smile. And that's why I will go back and make amends on the first possible opportunity.

So, if you are in Delhi and visit Connaught Place regularly or otherwise do try out this new place at M block. Just a turn from Mahatta & Co. Spot the 3 dots behind me in the pic below.


I promise you won't go "Hangry"!  

Comments

Popular Posts