Men and Women in Blue - Manguarding India



How many of us have spared a thought about the first person we meet as we enter our offices on daily basis? Most of us at times don't even know their names.They are the men and women in uniform providing us security cover in our offices, homes and yes today's glittering malls.

Sometimes in our cozy residential societies too we hardly know the person who checks the boot of every car and keeps a record of all the people who come and go through out the day. I for one score very poorly. I  will be honest, I kinda know certain people by face or usual morning greeting of "Namastey", but seldom do I know their names, and how they came by this profession. With my frail ego, I only remember the rude ones that I am accosted with at times. From now on I pledge to know the polite people that I meet more often.

Obstacle training

On a recent visit to Udaipur I was humbled with an unique experience like no other. The Organization I was visiting was training Youth of Rajasthan for trained Security Personnel in collaboration with SIS Security and Intelligence Services. Youngsters between the age of 18 to 35 were selected and trained as security personnel to be placed all across India. Believe you me in a country with very little employment opportunity a secured job placement means the world to the rural youth. On my trip I went to a slumberous cluster of Salumber about 80 kms from Udaipur City. As I went around in a radial of 25 Kms in 4 villages the little yellow handbills for a call of fresh batch of trainees raised much excitement. Wherever we went someone inquired regarding the forthcoming selections. This would enable them to access guaranteed employment with a princely sum of Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 15,000 a month depending on their posting. 

Evening march past

The SIS group has such 16 training centers in India and one in Rajasthan in Udaipur. Here, round the year young men are trained as security personnel. Selected candidates have to pay Rs. 4000.00 for the course but out of which Rs. 3000.00 is spent on the gears including, trousers, shirts, T-s, shorts, boots, canvas shoes, belts, cap etc I am told. And Rs. 1000 is charged for food and accommodation. I was moved to see the enthusiasm in the eyes of the eager faces training and wanting to be gainfully employed. It gave them such sense of pride and self respect.



I came out of the training center yet again counting my blessings to be born and raised in a middle class Indian family from the city. For once my privileged urban childhood was a happy memory and I had no demons to fight.    

Comments

Popular Posts