Gift bearing friends

We have all read about the three wise men from east bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh on the birth of little Jesus. History too is replete with details of gifts sent to various emperors through the ages as a token of respect, allegiance or simply for diplomatic purposes.

Today I read an extremely interesting article in the news paper about the custom of carrying/sending gifts for near, dear and loved ones from an academic point of view. No less than from a Sociologist of Cornell University. Although it shared a lot of anecdotal information but I still feel it shied away from admitting the true human compassion that stays somewhere with us no matter how successful or rational we have become and think sensitivity is a soppy human attribute. Something totally emotional is incomprehensible to us in the post modern era. We do not foster anything which, might result in excess of emotion. But honestly I feel  emotions are healthy and trundling some excess baggage across the globe for that is all to good.

I know people who travel in less comfort by train even though they can afford flight tickets just because they can get away with excess baggage on Indian trains, without paying extra. And AC 3 coaches will stand testimony to this!

It was very relevant for me as my partner came back from his office tour with a bundle of goodies just yesterday. The case in point was why do we agree to make space in our luggage for gifts while traveling when we can carry a limited amount of weight only? Well, to me it is just for fun and love. Also significantly we want to be remembered by the friend, cousin, Uncle, Aunt and every one we miss too much! A friend has sent a little something for me through someone he knows from another country so that I can be happy and call him to say I loved it! That's all we want to feel and know. Isn’t that sweet?  I think it totally is.

I think we do this because we miss them and it gives us pleasure to know that we will be remembered upon receipt. Yes it is a kind of an ego trip, but an ego trip for loving someone a little more than yourself even if for a short while and that's a wonderful thing. We all need to feel pampered from time to time and we all do deserve it!

Do share your thoughts and tell!

Comments

Popular Posts